Thursday 15 December 2011

Evaluation question 2

How does your media product represent particular social groups?

In my media product I have looked at the particular social group of the criminally insane a small but eager social group that a lot of mainstream film companies look and reflect there view on. When I look at my product I can’t help but look at the character of my killer who I haven’t named, reason for this is so that the audience can reflect and judge this man with out even knowing his name. Also when looking at this character I cannot help by comparing my work to the production of, ‘silence of the lambs’ the character we know as ‘Hannibal the Cannibal’. Both of these character are represented in the same way however in two very different ways.

Firstly when we look at the character in my media production, note that we never see his face, reason for this is that this is the opening scene and I did not want to give away who the murder/ criminally insane person is, to build on the suspense of tension throughout the whole production, this way he is represented as kind of a mystery. On the other hand in the production of silence of the lambs, Hannibal the classic criminally insane character was seen, right away, this adds to his character and is more represented as being more insane, the way he for-trays the role of the character.

The two characters here are seen very differently, my character being more of a mystery and secretive the way the character is positioned throughout the production and also his costume (all black) connotation of dark mystery’s character. Also the fact that in this opening scene the character has no dialogue witch adds to the suspense of the mystery.

However the character Hannibal Lecter, does indeed talk a lot in his opening scene and to look at way more suffocated and well mannered towards other characters in the mise-en-scene this all adds to the contrasting effect of the audience questioning them self how is this man criminally insane?

But when we see how both these characters are represented, it is that these characters are not fit to be a member of our society. Yes the characters are seen in different ways but how they are represented are by having similar animalistic like being lock in a cage (Hannibal) or just trailing into some other persons house (my character). It is this way that both characters are represented in both films, not being able to cope in our society. The social group of the criminally insane is represented in my film as not fit to live in our society, even though both films are from different places and time periods, they both represent and construct this message to the viewer. That this group of people are not stable for our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment